Monday, March 2, 2009

MI here I come!

So I did it. I talked to my boss today and she gave me the go-ahead to go "home" next week and visit my parents and some friends. I am beyond excited. We haven't been home since August. The only bummer is that A can't come w/me. Otherwise I am super excited and so are my parents. Flight prices went up, but A said to go ahead and do it anyway.

Speaking of money, A started working on our taxes tonight. We are NOT excited. It looks like we are going to owe money for the first time ever. It sucks. Hopefully he can get it figured out to at least drop the amount we owe. Sucks, sucks, sucks. Gotta spend a TON of money on IVF and I was hoping to at least cover the meds w/our return, but it looks like we have to do OOP (out of pocket) AND pay extra in taxes. Blah.

Oh and I have a good recipe that I wanted to share. I forgot to take a pic of it last night, but it turned out so yummy! Here it is:

Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy
(I made this for two, but you could adjust for more)
2 thick cut boneless pork chops
1 small onion
1 can of mushrooms (or fresh)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
Olive oil
White wine
Milk
Spices: Garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, basil

Saute onions and mushrooms in olive oil until beginning to turn brown
While doing this season your pork w/salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and basil
Remove onions and mushrooms
Place small pat of butter in hot pan. Once melted place pork in pan to brown
While pork is browning, combine cream of mushroom soup, milk, and white wine (I eyeballed these, I am guessing around 1/4 c. each) and stir until combined
Add in mushrooms and onions. Season w/pepper, basil, garlic, and onion powder
Remove browned pork chops
Deglaze pan w/small amount of wine
Add soup mixture and pork chops
Cover and cook for 30-35 minutes on low to md-low heat (160 degree internal temp for pork)
During cooking I spooned the "gravy" over the meat to help it cook and keep it moist

I served it w/mashed potatoes (w/gravy on top) and green beans. It was so good. The wine gave the gravy a light yet rich flavor and the pork was so tender and moist.
I will definitely be making this again soon. If you try it I hope you enjoy it!

No comments: