Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Job angst, con't

So I guess I shouldn't complain about my job to my husband anymore. I am unhappy as I have stated previously, but I guess I must bring it up too often for his taste. His response tonight was, "You aren't cut out for the workforce, you should just quit and be a stay-at-homer." Well, I guess that maybe he wasn't getting at this, but it made me feel quite horrible about myself.
In deference to his feelings, I am sure he is tired of hearing me complain about it, and he probably feels pretty helpless when I do, because he doesn't know what to say to make me feel better and doesn't really know how to help me because I am the only one that can get myself a job.

So anyway, what set it off today was me asking my boss if we could talk about trade shows and figure out who is doing what. She agrees that it is time and calls a meeting w/her husband and our marketing guy and starts discussing the shows and who will do what and so forth. I hear that I am nominated for one show (not invited to the meeting, but selected for a show nonetheless) and I go to the kitchen to get my lunch. As I walk back my other boss asks how I feel and I say, "Whatever, that is fine." Not really professional of me, but our place of business is anything but, unless someone gets a bug up their butt to make it seem so at times.
I am upset because 1)I have to do a show, 2)petty I know, but it's my birthday weekend, 3)there was another show that I said I would do if I had to do a show, because it's where my brother and sister-in-law live.
Later on my main boss mentions that she thought I had wanted to do the other show and I said yeah, if it works out okay. So I guess I should be able to do the show where I see my brother (not holding my breath, because things have a tendency of changing at the last minute). It works out okay in the end. I get to see family on my birthday, but not my husband, and I still have to travel. (And yes, I realize that I don't always help the situation at work, but in the heat of the moment it's difficult for me to step back and rationalize everything I say.)
As my dad would say, six one way, half dozen the other, what are you going to do?

So, as always a "bad" day at work energizes me in my job search. Which also brings about the comment from my husband. It's almost....no. I desire a new job, I want one that fulfills me and makes me happy, I want to provide for us, I wish I didn't feel the need to expound upon all the reasons I dislike my job. One day I am sure that will all come about.

I just read an article about sitting down, writing down all the things you are grateful for and make you happy. Do so until you are in a place of peace, then ask yourself what you want to do with your live. Make that your vision and strive for it, it will take time and there will be diversions, but you should continue to focus on your goal and it will happen.
Sounds good, but Ms Skeptical/Cynical (I wasn't always this way) doesn't know if it really sounds that realistic.

No comments: