Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Deeper thoughts........

So I was thinking last night....I couldn't fall asleep for the life of me, so what do ya do??

Anyway, I am disappointed in my blog lately. Sure I began it as a way to vent and record what steps we took to become parents (aww see the hope?), and as I have been away from any treatments for a bit now, I feel as if it has become very shallow and insignificant. As if I am not posting anything of import or interest.

I feel as if I should use this blog to explore my feelings and fear more, but I am not really digging beneath the surface and writing about those, but just about my everyday, boring life.

So *deep breath* I am going to start. Little steps, baby steps probably, but maybe this will be a way to keep me sane if we have any unsatisfactory results from this upcoming cycle. Last time I feel as if I kind of fell into a pit of depression. While in this pit I didn't really realize what was going on, but I have since began to pull myself out of it and the "okay" I thought I was, was not really the "okay" that I needed to be.
I guess that could be one of my fears there, admitting this "outloud". The night we found out our embies died, we went for a walk by the ocean and then to a little seafood joint and had appetizers. And drinks. Two margaritas to be exact. And at the time, I didn't see it as any big deal, but I have found that I was self-medicating the pain away. I was okay, I cried a lot the first few days, but I also started having a drink every night when I got home.
It's okay, I thought, I haven't drank since going off BCP's, and this is my chance to enjoy while I can, before the next cycle starts.
But, I was also going out with friends a lot and I found myself having a drink, two, then three and then winding up drunk and feeling shitty the next day. It's like I lost my ability to stop when I needed to.
This is embarassing...............
But things are turning around. A couple weeks ago I decided that I was fed up with myself. I had gained weight since the IVF cycle, when I should have been losing the cycle weight, and I was drinking too much. Not to the point where I had a problem, I don't think, but to the point where I could see it becoming a problem one day. Or maybe I am just overly dramatic....maybe I would have been fine because I do have a lot of self-control and a lot of self-loathing for myself when I think I did something wrong/bad/etc.
Anyway, I have since began working out, as I have posted before, I am run/walking about 3-4 nights a week and only having drinks once a week. Nothing throughout the week and nothing other than that one night (girl's night out). And I feel good. Better about myself, not missing the alcohol, pretty happy considering. And A has noticed my self-esteem/confidence improve since I started working out. And he says my butt looks pretty good too. :) Can't beat that!

11 comments:

Billy said...

Good for you for working on yourself, for saying - stop! I can't/shouldn't contimue this way.
And yay for the improved self esteem that comes with the working out!
ICLW

Echloe said...

Good for you. Working out is so good for the soul. And the added benefits of weight loss and keeping your heart healthy make it so worth doing. I hope you continue to use this blog as an outlet. Between blogging and running, I'm sure you'll be mentally ready for your next cycle.

Kristin said...

Wow, good for you! It is so very hard to admit/realize when the black pit of depression has taken over. Not only did you recognize it, but by working out and having a drink as a treat instead of self-medicating, you are truly doing something to improve your situation. I am so impressed.

~ICLW

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Thank you for being brave and sharing where you have been on ths road. Blessings on you as you continue the journey!

~ICLW

Mama Bear said...

great for you for working out and keeping the girls night too!

Petrucia said...

working out is great for our self-esteem! I became obssessed with dieting and exercising to lose my IVF weight too! it worked. And I feel (and look) great now. Good for you that you started this path! And good for you that you don't miss the alcohol. I miss it terribly, I howl in desire when I can't have any (you see I have a big problem with rules or restrictions), but that's me. And I don't think you have a problem if you are concerned that you might have one. People who do have a problem usually don't think about it.

..al said...

Happy for you...self awareness is the key...and consistency makes one a winner!


ICLW

..al said...

And welcome to ICLW!

Beautiful Mess said...

Happy ICLW!

I use to go out with my friends and have a few drinks, just so I could get away from my own thoughts. It's nice to get out of the house and not have to think about what was bothering. Then I realized, I never really got away from it. So I just had to deal with all the crap. I did and I feel MUCH better.

I'm glad you're feeling better and your hubby is liking your butt ;o) Can't go wrong there.
*HUGS*

Anonymous said...

There are so many ways to hide from ourselves--but we're still there. The feelings must be felt. Sucks, but there it is.

Hugs.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Catching any kind of problem before it really becomes a problem is a sign of wisdom and self-awareness -- both of which can be difficult when dealing with IF. So good for you.

Happy ICLW!