Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To find comfort

A little background:
I am a Christian, raised Catholic, but not truly practicing. I am trying to get back into church and trying to lean on the Lord a bit more in the journey of life. I know that I definitely need help in this. Small steps is how I am starting - trying to start going to church, I am thinking about a bible study course and then we will see from there.

So obviously my skills (if you would call them that) are very rudimentary. Embarrassingly enough today I googled some Bible verses that "bring comfort in times of loss/grief". I found one I really liked and I wanted to share it.

Psalm 71:20-21Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once again.

I think one of the reason's I have been against attending church again is the belief of the Catholic church that IVF is wrong. I obviously don't agree, but it makes me feel somewhat hypocritical to attend/belong to a church that does not believe in something that is a very integral part of our lives right now. My belief is that God gave us (as humans) the ability to learn and create these amazing ways of growing our families. He allows the sperm and egg to meet and fertilize and create embryos, He allows families to become pregnant with this miraculous embryos, and He allows those embryos to be born into the loving families that worked/waited/cried/prayed for these little ones. How can He not be a part of this? How can the church say that this is wrong and not the way of the Lord?

Anyway, I guess I am getting a little bit deeper than I meant to........comments are welcome. I am, as I said, definitely on the path of learning. I went to catechism for 8 years, but have not continued to learn really in the time since and I am happy to hear other points of view and ideas.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I am a practicing Catholic getting ready to embark on our first IVF. I know that it is something that the Church disagrees with, but like you, I think that God gave us the ability to learn, grow and educate, otherwise IVF wouldn't have been invented. I feel my calling is to be a mother, and I don't feel that God would have given me that calling if he didn't believe in the way I have to get there. I have a certain peace about going forward with IVF. In my heart I know that it's the right decision.
(I'm also a long-time reader, I just don't comment very often)

jeanna said...

This is why I love blogging, it is so good to see your thoughts written out. Sometimes it helps me come to a conclusion or just understand what my feelings really are as I am going through them.

I nominated you for a beautiful blogger award on my blog.

http://jeannasmotherhoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/02/blogger-award.html